If you’re dealing with insomnia, regular or occasional sleep disturbances, using essential oils is a subtle, yet effective way to cope. They are better than synthetic scents, which can carry certain harmful chemicals and are not as relaxing.
Best Scents For Sleep
Here are 10 essential oils that promote relaxation and get you sleepy.
1. Lavender essential oil
Lavender is one of the most common scents and a failsafe pick for those struggling with insomnia. It has a sweet and delicate smell that is floral, herbal, and woodsy at the same time. The scent will put you in a better mood and help you relax, unwind and fall asleep faster and longer.
2. Cedarwood essential oil
If you’re prone to hyperactivity, stress or tension, cedarwood oil is an excellent choice. It has a grounding, soothing and woodsy aroma that helps relax the body and encourage the onset of quality sleep.
3. Frankincense essential oil
Frankincense has been considered a prized aromatic for centuries for its therapeutic and healing properties. It has a pine, lemon and wood aroma that promotes feelings of relaxation, grounding and sedation.
4. Roman Chamomile essential oil
Roman chamomile is one of the best essential oils for sleep and anxiety. It has a sweet, herbal aroma with notes of bright apple. The warm and comforting aroma helps create a calming and relaxing atmosphere for a perfect night’s sleep.
5. Bergamot essential oil
Bergamot essential oil is a general wellness powerhouse. Its signature citrusy scent is both calming and uplifting. If you are having a hard time falling asleep, diffuse some Bergamot to induce a relaxing environment.
6. Clary Sage essential oil
Clary sage has a clean, refreshing, herbal scent that reduces feelings of anxiety making it easy to fall asleep. It however might not be suitable for you if you have low blood pressure.
7. Ylang Ylang essential oil
Known for its ability to create a mental and physical balance, ylang ylang also has soothing and calming properties that promote sleep. Its sweet and refreshing floral aroma will lighten your mood.
8. Vetiver essential oil
If you enjoy sharp earthy tones, this one’s for you. Vetiver essential oil helps create a calming and relaxing atmosphere.
9. Rose essential oil
This is another versatile essential oil that can be added to your bedtime routine. It has a rich, sensual aroma that is intoxicating. The deeply fragrant oil will lower your blood pressure and pacify you to sleep in no time.
10. Valerian essential oil
Valerian essential oil is extremely calming and soothing. It’s great for promoting tiredness and restful sleep. It has a pungent aroma, which can be lifted or masked by blending with other scents like jasmine or lavender.
Scents to Avoid for Sleep
Some scents will stimulate you and make you more alert. If you want to fall asleep it may be wise to avoid them. They include;
- Rosemary essential oil: This has a stimulating effect increasing your blood pressure, heart and respiratory rate.
- Petitgrain essential oil: This increases alertness and attentiveness.
- Sandalwood oil: This will raise your pulse and blood pressure.
How to Use Essential Oils for Sleep
The key to effectively adding essential oils to your bedtime routine is to use them correctly and safely.
- One of the best ways to use essential oils to enhance better sleep is as massage oil. Massage your body with a soothing essential oil blend before bedtime.
- Relax and relieve tension with an essential oil-enhanced bath before you go to bed.
- Use diffusers, scented candles or oil warmers to infuse the air with the calming scents. Alternatively, soak a cotton pad in essential oil and place it by your bed a few hours before you go to bed.
Caution When Using Essential Oils
- You should always test any new oil to avoid an allergic reaction.
- Always blend or dilute your essential oil with a carrier oil before applying on your skin. Essential oils are extremely concentrated and can aggravate the skin. Avoid application near sensitive areas or on inflamed or broken skin.
- If you are taking medication, are pregnant or nursing, consult with your doctor before using essential oils.
If you’re looking at alternative ways to help with your sleep, here is our selection of best songs for sleep.